From Loser to Winner

[postlink]http://newbestmotivator.blogspot.com/2009/05/from-loser-to-winner.html[/postlink]

Some years ago, an acquaintance of mine with a number of years' experience in various types of financial sales decided to sell life insurance. After working for a number of companies, with diminishing results, he ended up with a company selling debit life insurance. In selling this type of life insurance, the salesman solicits door and collects the premiums either weekly or monthly. My acquaintance has a snapshot of himself dressed in baggy trousers in which he is dejected looking, slouching, and clutching his debit book.The picture was taken in a grimy parking lot outside a rundown diner.

Shortly after this picture was taken, he obtained a reprieve with an opportunity to sell rather sophisticated financial services to major corporations. Because this work entailed meeting the treasurers and financial vice presidents of major companies, he spent his last dollars on a decent pair of shoes, a couple of suits, and a new overcoat. Today, many years later, he is one of the more successful people in the industry. He has had the snapshot enlarged and enclosed in plastic, and it has a place of honor on his desk. He has also given it a tittle-'"The Loser." He says he keeps it as a reminder of less fortunate days.

Recently, I asked him what had changed a loser into a winner in this case. He told me this:

"I spent every waking hour learning about my product. I wanted to know everything that pertained to it, an I am continuing to learn about it today. As a result of this study, I decided that I know my product as well as anyone in the world. Certainly, I knew more about it than any of those people to whom I was attempting to sell it.

Before every days' prospecting, I had a talk with myself. I told myself that I was the worlds' greatest salesman and that I was doing these people a substantial service in sharing my knowledge with them. Somehow this talk buoyed me up and gave me real confidence. This attitude seemed to come through to those I dealt with. Soon I began to enjoy real success, and my confidence increased even further. When difficulties arose, I asked myself what the worlds' greatest salesman would do in this case. Whatever the answer, I had usually failed to do it. When I began to attempt to act like the worlds' greatest salesman, I came close to becoming one."

Today this man, 20 years older than in the picture, stands straight and radiates enthusiasm, knowledge, and confidence. Clearly, his attitude and frame of mind have had a very positive effect.